Keeping You In The Loop

With Our Latest News And Blog Posts

We'll look to keep everyone up to date with all general goings on here at Spirare as well as offer our take on
industry related news

How to pay your Payment On Account by 31 July 2018

As you are aware, the self-assessment second payment on account deadline of 31 July 2018 is fast approaching. Here are ways to pay before the deadline to ensure you avoid any unnecessary penalties. This is of course assuming you have not made a claim to reduce your payment on account due to a reduction in earnings.


By debit or credit card or by BACS

If you wish to pay via debit or credit card online or over the phone you will need your 10-digit unique taxpayer reference (UTR) followed by the letter ‘K’. This will be on your tax return and computation.

It is important to note HMRC will no longer accept payments from personal credit cards, so if you are paying with a credit card ensure it is a business account.

The debit or credit card link is as follows (you will incur a fee if you pay by credit card):


Alternatively, you can pay by BACS as follows (assuming your account is UK based)


Sort Code   Account Number     Account Name

083210            12001039                    HMRC Cumbernauld


083210            12001020                    HMRC Shipley


Your bill should advise you which account to use, but if you are unsure, use HMRC Cumbernauld.


At your bank or building society

You can only pay at your branch by cash or cheque if you both:

·         still get paper statements from HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC)

·         have the paying-in slip HMRC sent you

Make your cheque payable to ‘HM Revenue and Customs only’ followed by your reference number - this is your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR). Followed by the letter ‘K’. You’ll find it on your paying-in slip.

By cheque through the post

You can send a cheque by post to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

BX5 5BD 

Please allow 3 working days for your payment to reach HMRC.

In the envelope you should include:

A cheque payable to ‘HM Revenue and Customs only’, followed by your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR). You’ll find this on your paying-in slip.

Include the paying-in slip HMRC sent you (if you still get paper statements). Don’t fold the paying-in slip or cheque or fasten them together. If you don’t have a paying-in slip you can print a slip to use to pay by post. However, you won’t be able to use this at a bank.


If you still need assistance regarding your second payment on account, or you need to confirm the amount, please contact one of the team at Spirare.